After weeks of dilly-dallying and procastination, finally an important reflection I complete before the awesome year comes to an end. Here is my food recap for the year.
The list is not exhaustive, but have selected a few experiences which I shall be definitely reliving in 2017 with a promise to share it on time with my foodie folks:)
Without soundibg too technical, following few parameters were used as yardstick to measure the experience.
- Quality of food
- Ambience & Hospitality
To all the passionate foodies..here we begin, kindly loosen your belts there will be lots of spices, sweet-sour ingredients on your way.
1.This is a new kid in this block,one of the most would be happening place, They are one of its kind in this area, They take you back to the lanes of Kolhapur,
Lai Bhari- Maratha Samrat, Baner
USP: The place offers delectable maharashtrian food with consistency in quality, right amount of spices and amazing hospitality.
What’s Hot there :
- Kheema papad: Chunks of mutton kheema with onions and tomatoes, have it before it gets soggy. Its just the way to start your meal.
- Kala mutton thali: I am a meat lover, and this is one of the dishes you just cant miss if you enjoy it the way I do. The kheema is perfectly cooked and the kala mutton has loads of khada masala, but the spice meter is well complimented with the juicy meat. The mutton biryani, thecha, chutney and pandhara, tambada rassa are cherry on the cake.
Location: MontVert Zenith Building, Opposite Wadeshwar Baner
2. If you are a veggie, or a veggie for selective days like me- you will thank god for this creation,
If you enjoy paneer , you will start loving it more,
If Lasagna makes you happy, this place will widen that smile,
They call it Namah, I call it Om Namay Shivay! Tu na hota toh mein kya karti!
This is Namah pure-veg restaurant within Ambience Hotel, Wakad.
USP: They are perfect with any kind of paneer preparations, good decor with musical instruments soothing music, quick service and its quite reasonable.
- Veg Lasagne: Its loaded with cheese you can customize it with your fav veggies. The quantity is more than sufficient for two people.
- Paneer Starters and Mains: I remember having Paneer tikka- nicely marinated with kasuri methi and for mains try Paneer Lababdar-the soft cubes of paneer are very fresh.
VFM: 🙂 Say happy veg day!
Location: Hotel Ambience Excellency, Wakad
Hold on..we are mid-way, lots more to experience.
3. You cannot miss homely food when you visit this epic historic restaurant,
Sasta, majubat aur tikau- this is apt description for this old in terms of age, but still strikes the chord with the millennials,
Baadshahi naam hai iska
My friend kept talking about this place and he frequently visits it when he just wants simple food. This made me curious and I so had to visit it.
USP: It makes you feel just like home, what else you need?
Anything and everything you eat here right from varan bhaat to shrikand. I am sure you will love it. They have baithaki seating with stool, chair and steel plates.
- The meal comprises of khakdi koshmbir (salad) aamti (dal), alu ki sabji (potato gravy), bhendi, hot chapatis, taak (buttermilk) and shrikhand. The alu ki sabji is simply cooked with turmeric, jeera, chopped onions, tomatoes – no jazz! The meal options keeps changing daily.
- Taak is refreshing with coriander, salt and jeera powder.
VFM: 🙂 No hole in your pocket
The place is super crowded even post 2 pm, better be on time.
Location: Tilak road, Pune
Isn’t it a home, away from home?
4.When your hungry and you know its South-indian food calling, start your vehicle and drive here,
The meal is affordable, filling and you will definitely visit again,
Its The Davangeri Benne Dosa for you all.
I prefer light snacks on Sunday`s and this place is generally my savior.
USP: The consistency in quality and simplicity in flavours.
Its a small outlet with decent seating capacity, but they DO NOT compromise on food and that makes this place so crowded even on weekdays.
- The loni sponge dosa with and without alu ki sabji is good, the sambhar is very tasty. I love medu wadas and this is one of the places serving crispy wadas. Onion uttapa is equally nice and the filter coffee fades off the monday blues:)
VFM:🙂 Ideal weekend ki setting
Location:Opposite Darshan Hall, Link road Chinchwad
5. Some places you visit for ambience, some places are well lit up,
Some are ideal date, coffee, family fine-dine restaurants,
This street offers all these under one single roof,
Balewadi High Street it is
I am a regular visitor here and have selected two restaurants as my fav
First is the Lebanese King- Marrakesh . Again this was a recommendation by a friend who remembers max items on the menu card. Yes, I have a clan of bhukkads in my life:)
USP: Variety of options, multiple outlets and one of the most economical joints in that lane. Marrtakesh outlets are generally compact, here you have feedback sticky-notes put up on the stairs- it looks really colourful! I think yellow is their lucky colour, they have the plates, menu card, glasses – all in the same colour.
- Open Face Dajaj Shawarma- It’s marinated chicken placed on vertical rotisserie cooked with tahini sauce , comes along with pita bread. I love the shawarma !
- I don`t remember the last time I had good boti kebabs after I had it here. They are absolutely delicious.
- Taking the meat love to the next level, its time to try Kheema paratha-they generously serve you with minced mutton and you just cant ask for more. Ignore the overtly cooked sides of the paratha in this snap, but the prep is worth trying. The green chutney served with it adds more flavours to the dish.
VFM:🙂 Keep Hogging!
And last but not the least my all time fav place is…
Quirky quotes, rusty looks, dim lights,
Fusion combos, fancy names,
Iron with the bill in it to make a biiggggg hole in your pocket,
I am sure you have cracked the code, The Urban Foundry welcomes you with a smile and always we are there to serve you happily attitude.
USP: The fusion combos, ambience.
- The signature dish- Thai Chicken Thai, marinated chicken kebabs with an indian twist.
- Paneer Biryani- The biryani here is served in a cooker. Yeah, you heard me right- they open the lid of the cooker in front of you. The paneer pieces are very soft and yummy!
- Chole Kulcha: Its not the typical north-indian style chole preparations. It is kabuli chana cooked with garam masala, chole masala and other indian spices. It is simple and that makes it stand out.
VFM: If you don`t mind spending, try this out
Location: Balewadi High Street, next to Cummins Pune
And our final destination is there, end of an exciting food trip.
Hope you had a great time reading the blog as much as I had listing it down for you.
The places are my personal recommendations without any commercial influence.
2017 promises to be a year full of explorations by visiting & re-visiting some new and old places.
Till then, keep eating and keep reading!
Wishes for a happy, healthy, wealthy and food-loving New Year 2017:)